Eat like a Bogorite (2)


My food adventure here in Bogor is exciting and varied. By default, I'm picking up quite a few Bahasa Indonesia words. It's not that difficult to figure out what the different food terms are. So far, my food-related vocabulary includes:
  • water - air (ah-ir) - yes you can drink air in Indonesia!

  • juice - jeruk - their juices are really good, always available and always made of fresh fruit that's in season. It's good to know the different fruits so you can navigate the menu:

    • papaya - buah

    • pineapple - ananas

    • guyabano/soursop - sirsak

    • avocado - alpukat

  • tea -teh (te) - Indonesians are tea drinkers and I fit right in! They have a huge variety of unsweetened teas, some even bottled like softdrinks. I think this is a fabulous idea and is worlds better than softdrinks.

  • rice - nasi (na-si) - plain steamed rice is nasi putih (white rice) and anything with nasi in it is definitely a rice dish.

  • squid - cumi (chu-mi)

  • chicken - ayam

  • shrimp - udang

  • catfish - lele

  • chili - sambal
Some Indonesian survival food-related words and phrases:
  • to drink - minum

  • to eat - makan

  • I'm hungry - Saya sudah lapar
More Bahasa Indonesia here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.
  • aloi means yummy
  • +