Before you think that I said something utterly profane, let me explain what gulab jumun are. First, they are severely addicting. Secondly, they are deceptively unassuming … they didn’t appeal to me at first sight, but one bite and it was love, love, love.
Backtracking, gulab jumun are Indian pastry balls (smaller than the size of golf balls), fried, then smothered in a cardamom and clove sugar syrup. The pastry is milky sweet. When you bite into them, they are dense and smooth. The syrup is light, yet you can taste the spices. Those balls are even better if they’ve been hibernating in the syrup so they’ve seeped up that delicious syrup.
Of course I got these at our favorite Indian place Assad Mini Mart, as dessert to those savory samosas.
Hope you try them when you find yourself in and Indian resto or, better yet, if you pay a visit to Assad.
I’m a gulab jumun kinda girl
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment