Semolina Cookies, a delicious failed experiment





Semolina cookies
Makes about 20 cookies
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 13-15 minutes


Ok, so I've been meaning to make cookies for ages and finally gave in one afternoon when I wasn't quite up to going out. I didn't have much butter and our kitchen is far from fully equipped. The original recipe for semolina cookies is from Recipezaar


How I fared:
It was a very delicious disaster, if we base it on what it should look like. I made some conversions  and modified the sweetness somewhat, so the recipe below is the barest-bones recipe. 


I didn't have any vanilla essence so we did without. Nor did I have a pastry brush, so no egg white brushing either. 


The recipe calls for about 4 tablespoons of ground almonds. Instead with our almond stash, I spent about 5 minutes cracking open almonds, put them into plastic bags and started smashing them with the bottom of a cup. When I got tired, I got D to take over.
I also made the the stupidest mistake of not converting the oven setting from °C to °F ... hence the cookies had spread already on the tray when I rushed to reset the oven to the correct setting. 


Taste Verdict:
If you didn't know how these were supposed to look like and you tasted these, you'd say YUM. The smashed almonds gave a nice unexpected crunch. The cookies are buttery with a nice crispiness to them.  Great with a cup of coffee or tea or on top of ice cream.  


Kitchen stuff you need:
mixing bowl
electric mixer
baking tray, 1-2
measuring cups
measuring spoons
flour sifter
fork
pastry brush

You need:
butter, 1/2 cup
granulated sugar, 5 tablespoons
vanilla essence, 1 teaspoon (optional)
plain flour, 1/2 cup
semolina flour, 1/2 cup
almonds, 4-5 tablespoons

For decorating (optional):
almonds
egg white, 1, beaten

What you do:
  • Grease baking trays lightly with butter and preheat oven to 180°C (approx. 350°F)
  • Cream butter, sugar (and vanilla essence) until light.
  • Sift in flour.
  • Add in semolina and ground almonds to combine well into a dough.
  • Pinch off pieces and roll into small balls and place on prepared trays.
  • Press with a fork.
  • Brush lightly with egg white and press half almonds in the center of each pressed out dough.
  • Bake in a preheated oven for 13-14 minutes or until cookies turn golden.
  • Leave on the tray for 1 to 2 minutes.
  • Remove onto a wire rock to cool.

For further inspiration, check this out. It makes it look oh-so simple!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.
  • aloi means yummy
  • +