I had to eat Indian in Winnipeg!

ivory


I'm running out of days to try the array of $8 lunches in Taste the World, by Ciao Winnipeg until August 31!

But couldn't resist not trying this modern Indian place called Ivory Restaurant. I've been seeing it during each of my bus rides downtown. Posh looking. Cool blue lettering and stripes down those shiny mirrored glass. But not inaccessible, for me that is, even in ratty old flipflops!

Walking into those doors, I was immediately hit with the modernity of the surroundings in those warm earthtones I so love, jarring with blues and purples. Very beautifully!

Greeted by a polite Indian woman, I opted for the couched seating area. It's actually the bar area and I could easily imagine a night out with friends here, with those lovely warm colors heightened by dimmed lighting.

ivory


But the food, that's what I always come for! I knew I wanted that $8 lunch but couldn't resist peeking into their menu (they also do take-out, dear friends)! T'was a nice line-up of traditional Indian dishes which started my tummy rumbling especially since it was quite late. What with the aromas of freshly cooked dishes in the buffet table wafting over, I decided to order what I came for: the navratan korma platter with channa masala, served with a insanely large serving of basmati rice and a crisp fresh side salad. The buttered chicken didn't seem as exciting an option.

I did inquire as to how large the serving was, as I tend to fill up pretty quickly. Decided against ordering an additional roti juts to be sure. And of course, the issue of heat - how hot was a mild hot? The Canadian waitress assured me that she could eat it and that it was adjusted to the general palate in the area, so I knew I could manage it.

When the heaping plate arrived, I couldn't contain my excitement. The korma which is a chickpeas in masala was so tasty; and the heat was hot enough to make me feel good having a vague idea how hot how this is traditionally prepared. I would have preferred that the basmati rice be a little less, especially since it was hidden and made even heavier with a heaping of corn and carrots in coconut milk (I venture this guess). As for the fresh salad with fresh orange slices, this seemed a safe way of toning down the heat and lessening the heartiness of the entire platter. I enjoyed every bite! Well, what I could manage of it!

This place is a must-try for those who love traditional Indian food. If you can take the heat, just ask the chef, as he readily accommodates! Enjoy it in classy surroundings with traditional Indian music playing.

I decided that after that meal, a short walk was in order. Ciao!

Ivory Restaurant
200 Main Street
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Canada

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.
  • aloi means yummy
  • +